Background

On March 29, 2011, we were blessed with the arrival of our beautiful, identical
twin girls. We were very excited for this event, especially since it was
preceded by a 5 week hospital stay for me (and pretty much for Ches, too, since
he spent every night there with me).

Now we are trying to navigate the waters of parenthood. There is no amount
of mental preparation one can do to get ready for a new baby, let alone two
babies! I am creating this blog in order to share the experiences, but more
importantly, as a type of diary to capture all the moments I fear I will forget
if left up to just my brain to remember!

Saturday, August 20, 2011

One Year Ago Today

One year ago today was a Friday. We had a rough week at work and I wanted to devote a large chunk of time that evening to enjoying Washington's brews. Since we were trying to have a baby, even though it was before I was late, I thought it prudent to take a pregnancy test to get the all clear before the night of debauchery.

We had a pregnancy test in the closet, you know, the cheapo kind. I had taken them before. If negative, the window would stay clear. If positive, a blue vertical line should appear. When I looked at the result this certain Friday morning before going into work, an extremely faint smidgen of blue appeared, but it was definitely not a definitive line. I then walked to the bedroom to ask Ches if he thought it was a blue line. He was also unable to tell due to the faintness of the color. Since it was different from the previous times, I decided to call the hotline to see if they could provide clarity.

Apparently, this was so common of a question that they provided the answer on a recorded message. "Even the faintest of color is a positive result." We were shell-shocked. We promptly called the doctor's office to see if we should come in for confirmation. They told us that they literally would use the same type of test so if we had already done one, that should suffice. We decided that we would buy a digital pregnancy test at lunch and would let that tell us the truth of the matter.

We got ready for work and went in like it was a normal day. It was surreal to be sitting at a computer and have the occasional thought that I might be pregnant. We had been trying for over half a year with no luck. We were starting to think we should just focus on our work and try again later with hopefully more success. But I was hopeful then.

Lunch came tortuously slow. We had an abnormally brisk walk to the grocery store, bought the test and promptly returned home. I took the test, only had to wait 45 seconds, and then saw the result written in plain English.


I turned to Ches, who was standing right next to the bathroom, and told him I was pregnant. We shared of few moments of elation before turning to call our immediate families. Mom and dad were easy to get a hold of, but we had to wait until Ches' parents could call us back since they were chilling in Guatemala. Jennifer and Chris were really excited.

And then we had to compose ourselves as the end of the lunch break rapidly closed upon us. I was wrong to think the morning part of work had dragged on for ages, since the last 3 hours crawled by slower than an ant stuck in molasses. We had the whole weekend to let the reality set in before having to be back in the office. For this, we are eternally grateful.

In some form or another, our girls have been in existence for over a year. How quick a year goes by.

No comments:

Post a Comment