Background

On March 29, 2011, we were blessed with the arrival of our beautiful, identical
twin girls. We were very excited for this event, especially since it was
preceded by a 5 week hospital stay for me (and pretty much for Ches, too, since
he spent every night there with me).

Now we are trying to navigate the waters of parenthood. There is no amount
of mental preparation one can do to get ready for a new baby, let alone two
babies! I am creating this blog in order to share the experiences, but more
importantly, as a type of diary to capture all the moments I fear I will forget
if left up to just my brain to remember!

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Fourth of July

We had an eventful 4th with the girls! Of course, I had to dress them up in something delightfully adorable. We bought the tops at Old Navy once I realized we needed to have great pictures for the blog in celebration of America's birthday. The skirts were courtesy of Dad (one of my all-time favorites - got to get as much use out of them as possible!).

We realized that all we had was red and white so Ches and I made a great sojourn the Saturday before the 4th to find a perfectly blue accessory. I bet Ches never imagined himself having so much care for accessorizing. The first stop, which I was betting would have exactly what we needed, closed five minutes before our arrival. We then set off for Rumple New Skins which is a great, little consignment store. We found sublime blue socks with white stars. Odd enough, it was the only new things available in a store full of hand-me-downs. We rounded the hunt up with a visit to Wal Mart, which is where we found the little hair clips I attached to white headbands we already owned. Since it is impossible to shop for one specific thing for the girls, we bought $30 worth of clothes at the consignment shop and two $3 onesies at the Mart.

So the Fourth of July came and I eagerly dolled up the twins. While we prefer to not have the girls in the same outfits, there are many special occasions which just require it to be done (such as holidays and anything my mom buys us!). Bainbridge has a wonderful, small-town celebration for the 4th. The street our apartment is on closes down for the local parade. There is a large street fair with all the normal delicacies of fair food (except for funnel cakes this year - which irked me to no end and did naught for curbing by specific junk food craving).

After wondering around the fair, we assumed our spot perching above the street. Luckily, Ches' work moved offices earlier this year providing the ideal vantage point for the parade. We were on the second story of the building abutting the street. We began the parade with shade, and then chased it all over the balcony to keep the girls from the harsh sun. We enjoyed the horses, covered the girls ears' for the sirens, danced to the drums, and were entertained by the colorful floats. Avery was awake the whole time, which cannot be said for her sister.

After we returned home, Ches and I enjoyed some quality time with the twins on a blanket in the shade of the pine tree in our backyard. I went crazy taking pictures. The girls enjoyed our time outside as well; they were all smiles! Then it came time to return inside. The girls promptly passed out on the couch after their exhausting day. While they slept, Ches grilled turkey burgers and dogs, I roasted up some garlic & rosemary potatoes, and Robyn prepared the accompaniments. We feasted, drank some good beer, and then all of us went to bed. I do not think we could have had a better day to celebrate America's birthday with the girls.

1 comment: