Background

On March 29, 2011, we were blessed with the arrival of our beautiful, identical
twin girls. We were very excited for this event, especially since it was
preceded by a 5 week hospital stay for me (and pretty much for Ches, too, since
he spent every night there with me).

Now we are trying to navigate the waters of parenthood. There is no amount
of mental preparation one can do to get ready for a new baby, let alone two
babies! I am creating this blog in order to share the experiences, but more
importantly, as a type of diary to capture all the moments I fear I will forget
if left up to just my brain to remember!

Monday, May 23, 2011

The Art of Consignment Shopping


Look how cute these girls are in these outfits! I had the great opportunity to begin my ventures learning the art of consignment shopping from a master - Robyn! Ever since John & Robyn came up here, we have heard of their extremely successful journeys to thrift and second-hand stores. Every trip to a store, they would come back with at least one (but usually a bit more) name brand, new condition item. They also managed to stock our kitchen with great utensils from Goodwill - so glad to finally have a cast-iron skillet!

The day before they drove to California, Robyn and I went to an adorable little shop that is well hidden from the road. I have been to Goodwill before, but this was my first time in any other type of second-hand store. I was overwhelmed by the amount of stuff that was not particularly organized! With this feeling, if left alone, I probably would have looked at one shelf and then quickly retreated to my car.

Robyn jumped straight in to the first row of clothes, despite it being placed just a little too high for comfort sake. The 0-3, 3-6 and 6-9 month clothes items were all mixed in together. I am thankful she taught me her system: make one giant pile of everything you have any interest in, then prune it after you have gone through the store. I was definitely a little slower on the selection front, but Robyn was just pulling out gems of clothing left and right.

We ended up with roughly 25 outfits, a hat, and some toys for $100. We would have spent near $300 if we bought all of that brand new. So I have learned my lesson and will continue to shop for baby clothes at that and other thrift stores! There is one (called Rumple New Skin) which will accept my maternity clothes for credit! Everyone knows that buying baby girl clothes is irresistible, so this new shopping habit will help us stretch our tight dollars!

1 comment: