Background

On March 29, 2011, we were blessed with the arrival of our beautiful, identical
twin girls. We were very excited for this event, especially since it was
preceded by a 5 week hospital stay for me (and pretty much for Ches, too, since
he spent every night there with me).

Now we are trying to navigate the waters of parenthood. There is no amount
of mental preparation one can do to get ready for a new baby, let alone two
babies! I am creating this blog in order to share the experiences, but more
importantly, as a type of diary to capture all the moments I fear I will forget
if left up to just my brain to remember!

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

8 Weeks Old!

We have had the honor of getting to know our little girls for eight weeks now! I cannot believe it was that long ago already. My five week antepartum stay seems like a distant memory that somehow doesn't even feel like it actually happened. I feel terrible because I still have yet to send a thank you note with pictures of the girls to the wonderful nurses that took such great care of us there! I keep saying to myself that I will put something together once I have professional pictures, but who knows when that would be!

We are settling in to more of a rhythm of late. I feel like I am able to get more and more done each day. Unfortunately, cleaning the living room still remains on the low end of the priority scale. I pick up what I can, but the lack of vacuuming is haunting me in a major kind of way. Thanks to Fizz's interest in an almost empty coffee bag (the sound of the bag is similar to the one his treat bag makes), there has been a small pile of coffee grinds on the floor by the door for several days. It remains there because I get hung up on the thought that if I take out the vacuum to clean that one spot, then I should vacuum the rest, but that takes a good 20-30 minutes, and there is usually something more pressing to take care of in that amount of time! Yeah, okay, we can be a bit gross, but I know you still love us!

I view the day as a success if Ches and I have full meals, take showers, bathe the babies, clean out the litter, and all the dishes/bottles have been cleaned. For the other things (cleaning of kitchen, folding of laundry, picking up the obvious stuff in the living room, squeezing 20 minutes of recumbent biking, blog post, making an extra nice meal, napping, etc.), I rotate days. I keep hoping to make the weekends extra productive, but it can be hard when what used to be a two hour trip to Walmart has now turned into five hours. Practice makes better, though, and we will keep trying!

At night, the girls feed every three hours, almost like clockwork. Occasionally, we will get an extra 15-30 minutes, and the very rare 4 hours. While still mostly the same during the day, they have the tendency to do more of the 4 hour stints. I am writing this post during my night shift, listening to the monitor. In fact, I have to run to put a pacifier back in a baby's mouth right now (it is a fun game to try and guess who is crying)....okay, I am back! Sometimes, the girls enjoy the comfort of sucking on something at night while they sleep. Our thinking is that it is better a pacifier than a thumb!

And now it is time for me to get the bottles ready and wake Ches to help with the feeding. I will sign off with a cute picture of Alina, taken a couple of weeks ago - we really need more animal hats cause they are just too cute!

No comments:

Post a Comment